India has a population of 1.3 billion people that live in an area 1/3 the size of the U.S.
Hinduism is the primary religion in India, but there are more and more Muslims also.
The break down is as follows:
- 84% Hindu
- 13% Muslim
- 3% Christian
Here are some more facts regarding India:
*There are more than 330 million Hindu Gods
* India has the second largest Muslim population in the world.
Approximately 135 million Muslims prostrate themselves toward mecca five times a day to pray.
* There are more than 3,000 castes.
The caste system binds them to a system where they are forever lowered into a level of poverty and work with no hope of climbing out.
* 65% of India live on 2 cups of rice a day.
Thousands do not have clean drinking water or enough food.
* 70% of India are illiterate.
* 35% of India’s children do not attend school.
* There are 100 million + orphans living on the streets of India with no protection from a mother or father.
This causes them to be highly targeted for human trafficking, rape and slavery.
* For hundreds of thousands there are no medical facilities within distance, so many die because of not having proper medical care.
The neonatal infant death rate is more than 40%.
*65,000 die each day within the 10/40 window because of not having access to clean water and enough food.
The 10/40 Window:
The 10/40 Window is comprised of 51 countries primarily in Asia that have never heard the gospel of Jesus. 97% of these people live in the 10/40 window. (Please see map attached to this email).
*Within much of this 10/40 window the bible and the cross of Jesus Christ is illegal.
* 65,000 people die each day within this 10/40 window without ever hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
* This 10/40 window consists of muslims, hindus, and buddhists.
* Less than 1% of our total resources in the west are going to help the 10/40 window.
* Within the last couple of years in India, 8 states passed the anti-conversion (to christianity) law.
* The caste system that has been in place for more than a hundred years holds millions to a live of hopelessness, poverty, hard labor, and early death.
* There are more than 500,000 villages that are without a church or a gospel worker.
* There are an estimated 1.7 million children that are caught in human trafficking within India. In 2011 there were more than 11,000 children that were missing and sold into trafficking in the West Bengal area alone. Tens of thousands of children each month go missing as they are being kidnapped or sold into human trafficking throughout India. Approximately 80% of these are women and of the total number 50% are children. Women and children from the lower castes and Dalits are the most effected. Mumbai is the leading market.
* There are 40,000,000 widows within India that cannot provide for themselves and are raped and treated as if they have no value within India. They live a life of begging for food and provision. The suicide rate is extremely high among widows in India.
* 60% of every household lives on less than a dollar a day in India.
The good news is that we can win many to Christ if we have the support. Without support we cannot send out the materials and the missionaries to reach the masses within India. Many hindus are coming to Jesus as they are in deep despair and bondage. The fields are ripe and the harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few….. Compassion 4 Asia is in a position to send more laborers and support many pastors and missionaries that we know personally within India.